The Handle with Care (HWC) program is designed to promote partnerships between emergency responders and schools to help provide a safe and supportive academic environment for children recently exposed to traumatic events. HWC WV recently launched a Virtual Learning Academy that provides valuable information for educators on the HWC program and on implementing trauma-sensitive strategies in the school setting. Interested individuals can take the free, online courses at their leisure and/or register and work through the classes and obtain a certificate of attendance.
One of the courses, Handle With Care Trauma Training to Support Students Experiencing Trauma, is a 13-part series (each training video is only about 15 minutes in length) that focuses on topics such as:
- Understanding trauma
- Creating a trauma-informed school environment
- Identifying trauma-sensitive interventions for students
- Creating a sense of safety and belonging for all students
- Supporting students after first responder involvement
- Connecting students and families with community resources
- Educator self-care
Learn more about the Handle with Care (HWC) program.
Posted February 2023.